Display a list of related posts on your site based on the most terms in common. Supports thumbnails, shortcodes, a widget and more.
Quickly increase your readers' engagement by adding related posts in the sidebar or after post content with a widget or shortcode.
Posts with the most terms in common will display at the top!
This plugin is capable of finding related posts in multiple taxonomies and post types. Include or exclude terms from the search for related posts. Change the look and feel by using your own templates in a (child) theme.
- Widget and Shortcode.
- Display related posts as post thumbnails, links, excerpts or full posts.
- Small Footprint. Doesn't slow down your site!
- Automatic display of related posts after the post content.
- Exclude or include terms and posts.
- Search for related posts in single or multiple taxonomies and post types.
- Limit the search for related posts by date, number or post meta.
- Use your own HTML templates for display of the related posts.
- Extensive plugin documentation.
- Follows WordPress coding standards and plugin best practices.
- Highly Adjustable!
- Use a persistent cache for the related posts query. (opt-in feature)
- Use the WordPress REST API to get related posts. (opt-in feature)
- Load related posts after the whole page has loaded (with Ajax). (opt-in feature)
- Use plugin functions in your theme templates to display related posts yourself.
- Use Filters to change the default behavior of the plugin.
See the FAQ to have related posts automatically display after the post content without using the shortcode or widget.
Default usage for the shortcode is:
Attributes for the shortcode are:
Example to show 10 related posts instead of the default 5.
See the documentation for more information about these attributes.
Can I change the layout for the related posts?
Yes. Review this section of the documentation to style the related posts yourself.
How can I automatically add related posts after the post content?
Can I include or exclude posts or terms with the widget or shortcode
Can I set my own defaults for the shortcode?
Yes. Review Setting your own defaults for the shortcode
The widget only lets you choose "all taxonomies" or a single taxonomy. Can I make it use multiple specific taxonomies?
Yes. See this filter on how to do that.
Is this plugin GDPR compliant?
- This plugin doesn’t process, share, send or retain any user data.
- This plugin doesn't track (user) data for analytics (or for any other reason).
- This plugin doesn't save or read cookies.
- This plugin doesn't use 3rd party libraries.
Read this article why plugin authors cannot guarantee 100% compliance.
Please contact a GDPR consultant or law firm with this information to assess if this plugin is compliant.
- Bug Fixes
- Fix for gallery image (fallback) filter not being reached.
- Sanitize Rest API rendered HTML with wp_kses_post().
- New format for related galleries similar to the Gutenberg gallery block.
- Include child or parent terms for the related posts query.
- Filters for Widget defaults and instance.
- Bug Fixes
- (minor) Don't default to all public taxonomies if no valid taxonomies are used.
- Meta query
- Allows you to query related posts with post meta
- Use meta arguments in the shortcode
- Use a filter for the widget or for complex meta queries
- ID query
- Allow queries for post IDs only. (for the related posts in the widget and shortcode templates)
- Speeds up the related posts query. (not activated by default because of back compatibility)
- Please read the documentation about query optimization before using this feature
- Lazy loading (opt in feature).
- Speeds up perceived page load time for very large sites
- Does the query for related posts (with Ajax) after the page is loaded
- Recommended for related posts below the fold.
- Detect post type Page taxonomies
- Preparing the plugin for the (Gutenberg) editor block feature
- Meta query
- Add ability to show the post date after the post title
- Allow getting post fields from the cache
- Add new filter to filter all related post permalinks
- Add new tests for the post type feature (GitHub)
- Bug fixes
- (minor) Add post classes after retrieving posts from the cache
- (minor) Return an error if invalid taxonomies or post types was requested with the WP Rest API
- Prepare plugin for gutenberg blocks
- Add 'terms' parameter for shortcode and widget
- Add GDPR information to readme.txt
- deprecate functions (with back compatibility)
- Bug fixes
- (minor) Add missing filter pre_related_posts before cache queries
- (minor) Add missing properties to related posts returned by the cache
For older changelog versions see the changelog.txt file
- Unzip the
- Upload the
related-posts-by-taxonomyfolder to your
- Activate Related Posts by Taxonomy.
- That's it, now you are ready to use the widget and shortcode
Twenty Fifteen screenshot. Related posts in the sidebar and after post content
Twenty Twelve screenshot. Post thumbnails (after post content) and the widget
Twenty Thirteen screenshot. Post thumbnails (after post content) and the widget