This plugin can remove specific taxonomy base slug from your permalinks (e.g. "/genre/fiction/" to "/fiction/").
If you would like to have a little more nice permalinks to your custom post types articles with custom permalinks - this plugin can help you with this. If the term has the same slug as the post type, then the taxonomy has the priority over the post type.
Now I will show some examples:
(Custom taxonomy with child taxonomies)
(Term slug is the same as the post type slug:)
(Post Type:) site.com/cars/ (Term from Taxonomy:) site.com/taxonomy/cars/ (Subterm from Taxonomy:) site.com/taxonomy/cars/bmw
(Post Type:) site.com/cars/ (will not show) (Term from Taxonomy:) site.com/cars (will show) (Subterm from Taxonomy:) site.com/cars/bmw (will show)
Why should I use this plugin?
Use this plugin if you want to get rid of a custom taxonomy base slug completely. The normal behaviour of WordPress is to add '/taxonomy' to your permalinks if you leave "taxonomy page" blank (ex: site.com/taxonomy/). So your taxonomy links look like "site.com/taxonomy/my-taxonomy/". With this plugin your taxonomy links will look like "site.com/my-taxonomy/" (or "site.com/my-taxonomy/sub-taxonomy/" in case of child taxonomies).
Will it break any other plugins?
I don't think so.
Won't this conflict with pages or post types?
Simply don't have a page or a post type and category with the same slug. Even if they do have the same slug it won't break anything. Priority will be for taxonomies.
Can you add a feature X?
Depends, if its useful enough and I have time for it.
- Fixed a little bug.
- Added Multisite support.
- Fixed: A bug in PHP 5.4 + some other bugs
- Added: Admin Panel with the list of all taxonomies.
- Fixed: Auto update permalinks after adding new terms.
- Fixed a bug with hierarchical terms.
- Some small bug fixes.
- First release.
- Upload "remove-taxonomy-base-slug" folder to the "/wp-content/plugins/" directory
- Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress
- Select which taxonomies base slug to remove, go to Plugins -> Remove Taxonomy Base Slug
- Update your permalinks, go to Settings -> Permalinks -> Save Changes
- That's it!