Easy Object Cache provides APC user caching functionality if not available on your server, and lets you control the drop-in plugin object-cache.php.
Easy Object Cache is a simple and efficient plugin desgined to do just two things:
- Generate and set up the so-called drop-in plugin named
object-cache.phpbased on your settings.
- Provide Alternate PHP Cache user data caching functionality (APCu) functionality, if your sever doesn't have it.
The drop-in plugin
object-cache.php can be installed, manually, as described in APCu Object Cache Backend. However, for automated and configurable installation, you may want to use Easy Object Cache, especially if you do not have APC or APCu installed on your server. In fact, this plugin reuses the code (although modified) from APCu Object Cache Backend.
In addition to the fully functional Lite version, Easy Object Cache also has a Pro version, which gives you more control over how the plugin works, with these extra features:
- Full control over caching parameters like time to live (TTL), cache size and location for the APCu functionality that the plugin provides.
- Ability to clean the database of transients for possible performance improvements.
What does Easy Object Cache do?
Easy Object Cache generates the drop-in plugin
object-cache.php in your
wp-content folder based on your configuration, providing APCu functionality if not available on your server. This simple and efficient plugin can free up your database by moving the transient storage to a shared memory or disk file.
What is a Drop-in Plugin?
Drop-in plugins are PHP files of specified names that you place in your
wp-content folder to modify the behavior of WordPress. The file
object-cache.php is one such drop-in plugin, designed to provide an alternate management of transients.
What are transients?
WordPress uses temporary data that can persist over a single session or multiple sessions under the name transients. By default, transients are stored in your database in the
wp_options table, using a mechanism similar to the options management. This transients management can lead to database bloat and minor performance hits.
- V1.30: Compatibility with WP4.8. Sunset edition. [Aug 1, 2017]
- V1.20: Compatibility with WP4.5. [May 14, 2016]
- V1.11: Minor interface and documentation changes. [Feb 25, 2016]
- V1.10: Deprecating translation interface in favor of Google translation. [Feb 23, 2016]
- V1.00: Initial release. [Feb 15, 2016]
To install Easy Object Cache, please use the plugin installation interface.
- Search for the plugin Easy Object Cache from your admin menu Plugins -> Add New.
- Click on install.
It can also be installed from a downloaded zip archive.
- Go to your admin menu Plugins -> Add New, and click on "Upload Plugin" near the top.
- Browse for the zip file and click on upload.
Once uploaded and activated, visit the plugin admin page to specify your CDN server (or servers in the Pro version).