Automatically turns plaintext URLs and email addresses into links.
Automatically turns plaintext URLs and email addresses into links.
This plugin seeks to replace and extend WordPress's default auto-hyperlinking function. This plugin uses different pattern matching expressions than the WordPress default in order to prevent inappropriate adjacent characters from becoming part of the link (as WordPress has improved over the years, nowadays this is just a few edge cases like text links that are braced or bracketed) and it prevents invalid URIs (i.e. http://blah) from becoming links.
More significantly, this plugin adds configurability to the auto-hyperlinker such that you can configure:
- If you want text URLs to only show the hostname
- If you want text URLs truncated after N characters
- If you want auto-hyperlinked URLs to open in new browser window or not
- If you want the URI scheme (i.e. "http://") to be stripped for displayed links
- The text to come before and after the link text for truncated links
- If you want rel="nofollow" to be supported
- If you wish to support additional domain extensions not already configured into the plugin
- If you want certain domains to be omitted from auto-linking
This plugin will recognize any explicit URI scheme (http|https|ftp|news)://, etc, as well as email addresses. It also adds the new ability to recognize Class B domain references (i.e. "somesite.net", not just domains prepended with "www.") as valid links (i.e. "wordpress.org" would get auto-hyperlinked)
The following domain extensions (aka TLDs, Top-Level Domains) are recognized by the plugin: com, org, net, gov, edu, mil, us, info, biz, ws, name, mobi, cc, tv. These only comes into play when you have a plaintext URL that does not have an explicit URI scheme specified. If you need support for additional TLDs, you can add more via the plugin's admin options page or via filter.
This plugin also activates auto-hyperlinking of text links within post/page content.
- This release consists of fixes for some minor bugs, improved handling of URLs containing parentheses, drops compatibility with versions of WordPress older than 4.7, and some behind-the-scenes changes.
- Fix: Fix and improve handling of parentheses in URLs
- Fix: Prevent error when
can_do_hyperlink()is passed an invalid URL
- Change: Reformat code (minor) for
hyperlink_urls()to sync with core coding standards
- Change: Update plugin framework to 047
- Don't save default setting values to database on install
- Change "Cheatin', huh?" error messages to "Something went wrong.", consistent with WP core
- Note compatibility through WP 4.9+
- Drop compatibility with version of WP older than 4.7
reset_options()to reference instance variable
- Note compatibility through WP 4.7+
- Update copyright date (2017)
reset_options()resets values saved in the database
- New: Add README.md
- Change: Store setting name in constant
- Change: Unit tests:
- Sync changes to
Tests_Formatting_MakeClickablewith core's version (largely code formatting changes)
- Revamp handling and testing of settings
- Simplify implementations of
- Add explicit tests for 'strip_protocol' set as true
/tmp/wordpress-tests-librather than erroring out if not defined via environment variable
- Enable more error output for unit tests
- Sync changes to
- Change: Tweak plugin description
- Change: Add GitHub link to readme
- Change: Fix code example in readme
- Change: Modify formatting of hook name in readme to prevent being uppercased when shown in the Plugin Directory
- Change: Note compatibility through WP 4.9+
- Change: Drop compatibility with versions of WP older than 4.7
- Change: Update copyright date (2018)
- New: Add setting 'require_scheme' to allow preventing plugin from auto-linking URIs without explicit schemes (i.e. 'http://').
- Change: Make the comparison for domains against the exclude list case insensitive. Props mqudsi.
- Change: Update plugin framework to 044:
reset_caches()to clear caches and memoized data. Use it in
verify_options()with logic extracted from
verify_config()for initializing default option attributes.
add_option()to add a new option to the plugin's configuration.
- Add filter 'sanitized_option_names' to allow modifying the list of whitelisted option names.
- Change: Refactor
- Disregard invalid lines supplied as part of hash option value.
disable_update_check()to check for HTTP and HTTPS for plugin update check API URL.
- Translate "Donate" in footer message.
- Note compatibility through WP 4.5.
- Change: Construct strings in a cleaner way with
sprintf()rather than piecing strings and variables together.
- Change: Minor code reformatting.
- Change: Prevent web invocation of unit test bootstrap.php.
- Change: Note compatibility through WP 4.5+.
- Bugfix: Add appropriate spacing so v5.0's changelog entry gets properly parsed.
This release revives active development of the plugin after many years and includes many, many changes. Backwards compatilibility has been maintained; it just handles things better and introduces a number of new features. Some notable changes:
- Introduced setting and filter to add support for preventing specified domains from getting auto-linked.
- Introduced filter to support custom handlers to determine if and when text links should get auto-linked.
- Improved text link detection and handling.
- Links within
<style>tags are no longer hyperlinked.
- Improved support for language packs.
- Fixed some minor bugs.
- Added a boatload of unit tests to ensure the plugin functions as intended.
- Changed to not open links in a new window by default.
- Changed to no longer output the 'title' attribute.
- New: Introduce setting to allow specifying domains that should not be automatically hyperlinked.
- New: Add filter 'autohyperlink_urls_exclude_domains' for specifying domains to exclude domains from hyperlinking.
- New: Add filter 'autohyperlink_urls_custom_exclusions' to support custom logic to determine if a link should be hyperlinked.
- Hardening: Sanitize return value of
get_tlds()to ensure safe usage in regex.
- Change: Hyperlink links immediately preceeded by a comma, colon, semicolon, exclamation point, question mark, single quote, or double quotes.
- Change: Refactor
get_link_attributes()to assemble attributes as an array.
- Bugfix: Prevent linking URLs and email addresses used within
- Bugfix: Properly unregister the 'make_clickable' hooking of 'comment_text'.
- New: Add help text to 'Auto-hyperlink comments?' settings checkbox to note that
make_clickable()still runs if the checkbox is unchecked.
- Change: Remove
esc_attr()call from return statement of
get_class()(it gets escaped in
- Change: Add
get_link_attributes()to handle either 'url' (default) or 'email' contexts.
- Change: Add
$contextarg to 'autohyperlink_urls_link_attributes' filter.
- Change: Add
$titlearg to 'autohyperlink_urls_link_attributes' filter.
- Bugfix: If detected link ends in a question mark, don't treat it as part of the link.
- Bugfix: Preserve original leading and trailing spaces in text throughout processing.
- Change: Update plugin framework to 041 (too many changes to list).
- Change: Remove support for 'autohyperlink_urls' global.
- New: Add
reset_options()to override parent so it also unsets instance variable.
- Change: Better singleton implementation:
get_instance()static method for returning/creating singleton instance.
- Make static variable 'instance' private.
- Make constructor protected.
- Make class final.
- Additional related changes in plugin framework (protected constructor, erroring
- Change: Add support for language packs:
- Set textdomain using a string instead of a variable.
- Remove .pot file and /lang subdirectory.
- New: Implement true unit tests, migrating the existing makeshift tests and adding many more.
- New: Adapt (with minimal changes) the entire unit test suite for core's
- New: Add checks to prevent execution of code if file is directly accessed.
- Bugfix: Explicitly declare
- Bugfix: Add parent-defined arg to overridden
options_page_description()to avoid PHP warnings.
- Change: Re-license as GPLv2 or later (from X11).
- Change: Reformat plugin header.
- New: Add 'License' and 'License URI' header tags to readme.txt and plugin file.
- Change: Use explicit path for require_once().
- Deprecate: Discontinue use of PHP4-style constructor.
- Deprecate: Discontinue use of explicit pass-by-reference for objects.
- Change: Remove ending PHP close tag.
- Change: Minor documentation improvements.
- Change: Minor inline documentation reformatting.
- Change: Minor code reformatting (spacing, bracing).
- Change: Use https for links to wordpress.org.
- New: Add link to plugin directory page to readme.txt
- Change: Tweak installation instructions in readme.txt
- New: Create empty index.php to prevent files from being listed if web server has enabled directory listings.
- Change: Note compatibility through WP 4.4+.
- Change: Remove support for versions of WordPress older than 4.1.
- Change: Update copyright date (2016).
- Change: Update donate link.
- Change: Update screenshot.
- New: Add assets directory to plugin repository checkout.
- Change: Move screenshot into repo's assets directory.
- Add banner image.
- Add icon image.
- Re-implementation by extending C2C_Plugin_025, which among other things adds support for:
- Reset of options to default values
- Better sanitization of input values
- Offload of core/basic functionality to generic plugin framework
- Additional hooks for various stages/places of plugin operation
- Easier localization support
- Add c2c_test_autohyperlink_urls() to run suite of tests (currently 61 tests)
- Full localization support
- Improve text link detection
- Move autohyperlink_truncate_link() to c2c_autohyperlink_truncate_link()
- Deprecate autohyperlink_truncate_link(), but retain it (for now) for backwards compatibility
- Move autohyperlink_link_urls() to c2c_autohyperlink_link_urls()
- Deprecate autohyperlink_link_urls(), but retain it (for now) for backwards compatibility
- Add second argument to c2c_autohyperlink_link_urls() and class method hyperlink_urls() to allow override of plugin settings
- Ensure URLs get escaped prior to use in href attribute
- Fix bug that prevented proper link truncation
- Rename class from 'AutoHyperlinkURLs' to 'c2c_AutoHyperlinkURLs'
- Wrap global functions in if(!function_exists()) checks
- Explicitly declare class functions public
- Save a static version of itself in class variable $instance
- Deprecate use of global variable $autohyperlink_urls to store instance
- In global space functions: use new class instance variable to access instance instead of using global
- Note compatibility with WP 3.0+, 3.1+, 3.2+
- Drop compatibility with versions of WP older than 3.0
- Add 'Text Domain' header tag
- Add screenshot
- Add .pot file
- Code reformatting (spacing)
- Add PHPDoc documentation
- Add package info to top of plugin file
- Remove docs from top of plugin file (all that and more are in readme.txt)
- Remove trailing whitespace in header docs
- Update copyright date (2011)
- Add Template Tags, Filters, and Upgrade Notice sections to readme.txt
- Extract functionality into clearly defined, single-tasked, and filterable functions
- Add get_class() with filter 'autohyperlink_urls_class' to filter class assigned to auto-hyperlinks (default is 'autohyperlink')
- Add get_link_attributes() with filter 'autohyperlink_urls_link_attributes' to filter all attributes for auto-hyperlink
- Add get_tlds() with filter 'autohyperlink_urls_tlds' to filter TLDs recognized by the plugin (a '|' separated string of tlds)
- Add filter 'autohyperlink_urls_truncate_link' to truncate_link() to facilitate customized link truncation
- Add strip_protocol setting to control if URI scheme should be stripped from auto-hyperlinks
- Add 'Settings' link to plugin's plugin listing entry
- Add Changelog to readme.txt
- Move all global functions into class (except autohyperlink_truncate_link() and autohyperlink_link_urls(), which are now just single argument proxies to classed versions)
- Rewrite significant portions of all regular expressions
- Add hyphen to settings link text
- truncate_link() and hyperlink_urls() now pass arguments inline instead of setting temporary variables
- Memoize options in class
- Add class variable 'plugin_basename', which gets initialized in constructor, and use it instead of hardcoded path
- Update to current admin page markup conventions
- Improve options handling
- Add logo to settings page
- Minor reformatting
- Note compatibility through WP2.8+
- Drop support for versions of WP older than 2.6
- Change description
- Update copyright date
- Update screenshot
- Change pattern matching code for email addresses to allow for emails to be preceded by non-space characters
- Change pattern matching code for all auto-hyperlinking to better prevent linking a link within tag attributes
- Use plugins_url() instead of hardcoded path
- Overhauled and added a bunch of new code
- Encapsulated a majority of functionality in a class
- Added admin options page for the plugin, under Options -> Autohyperlink (or in WP 2.5: Settings -> Autohyperlink)
- Added options so that default auto-hyperlinking can be easily configured
- Added option to allow for user-specified TLDs
- Added TLDs of mil, mobi, and cc
- Added option to conditionally auto-hyperlink comments
- Renamed existing functions
- "~" is a valid URL character
- Added class of "autohyperlink" to all links created by the plugin
- Removed the A-Z from regexp since they are case-insensitive
- Recoded some of the core functionality so as to execute only one preg_replace() call for everything (by passing patterns and replacements as arrays)
- Added a note about the known issue of the plugin linking URLs that appear within a longer string in a tag attribute's value
- trim() text before return instead of doing a substr()
- Added nofollow support
- Moved Class B domain preg to after explicitly URI-schemed links
- Tweaked description and installation instructions
- Updated copyright date and version to 3.0
- Added readme.txt and screenshot image to distribution zip
- Tested compatibility with WP 2.3+ and 2.5
- Fix to once again prevent linking already hyperlinked URL
- Plaintext URLs can now begin, end, or be all of the post and it will get auto-hyperlinked
- Incorporated some WP1.3 regular expression changes to make_clickable()
- Added “gov” and “edu” to the list of common domain extensions (for Class B domain support)
- No longer displays the URI scheme (the “http://” part) in the displayed link text
- Dropped support for auto-linking aim: and icq:
- Prepended function names with “c2c_”to avoid potential future conflict with other plugins or the WordPress core
- Changed license from BSD-new to MIT
- Slight tweak to prevent http://blah from becoming a link
- Complete rewrite
- Initial release
- Whether installing or updating, whether this plugin or any other, it is always advisable to back-up your data before starting
/wp-content/plugins/directory (or install via the built-in WordPress plugin installer)
- Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' admin menu in WordPress
- (optional) Go to the Settings -> Autohyperlink admin settings page (which you can also get to via the Settings link next to the plugin on the Manage Plugins page) and customize the settings.
A screenshot of the plugin's admin options page.