Requires PHP: 5.4 Custom 404 the easy way! Set any page as custom 404 error page. No coding needed. Works with (almost) every Theme.
With 70,000+ active installations the 404page plugin is the most used plugin to create a customized 404 error page in WordPress.
It allows you to easily create your own 404 error page without any effort and it works with almost every theme.
If you like this plugin please do me favor and leave a review here on wordpress.org so that other people know it is helpful for you. Thanks!
Will it work with the theme I'm using?
This plugin is designed to work with as many themes as possible. It uses the WordPress Template System to detect and handle 404 errors. If your theme makes use of this Template System this plugin will work properly. If it does not the plugin offers a so called Compatibility Mode, which uses its completely own method to detect and handle 404 errors. If this plugin does not work properly, try to activate Compatibility Mode.
Are 404 errors redirected?
No, there is no redirection! The chosen page is delivered as a 'real' 404 error page. This results in a HTTP 404 code and not in 301 or 302, which is important for Search Engines to tell them, that the page does not exist and should be deleted from the index.
Is it possible to add custom CSS to the 404 page?
The 404page plugin adds a CSS class
error404 to the
<body> tag which can be used for extra styling.
Where can I get help?
Please use the Support Forum.
- corrected wrong image path
- added video links to admin page
- code improvements
- exclude 404 page from XML sitemap generated by Yoast SEO
- further UI-improvements
- show an indicator if the currently edited page is a 404 error page
- minor code- & UI-improvements
- bugfix for bbPress (See Topic
- support for right-to-left-languages added
- faulty display in WP 4.9 fixed
- new feature to send an HTTP 410 error for deleted objects
- bugfix for Polylang (See Topic)
- bugfix for CLI (See Topic)
- add debug class to body tag
- also add body classes for Customizr theme
- do not add error404 class if already exists
- further redesign admin interface
- new feature to force 404 error after loading page
- new feature to disable URL autocorrection guessing
- finally removed Polylang stuff disabled in 2.4
- redesigned admin interface
- code improvement
- hide 404 page from search results on front end (if WPML is active, all languages are hidden)
- do not fire a 404 in Compatibility Mode if the DW Question & Answer plugin by DesignWall is active and a question has no answers
- ensure that all core files are loaded properly (See Topic)
- Polylang plugin does no longer require Compatibility Mode (See Topic)
- hide all translations if WPML is installed and "Hide 404 page" is active (thanks to the WPML guys for pointing me at this)
- post status fix (See topic)
- Enfold theme issue fix (thanks to the guys at Kriesi.at for supporting me)
- a few minor bug fixes solve some problems with page templates in certain combinations
- automatic switch to Compatibility Mode for several plugins removed
- enhanced support for WPML and Polylang
- remove the 404 page from search results (for all languages if WPML or Polylang is used)
- remove the 404 page from sitemap or other page lists (for all languages if WPML or Polylang is used)
- bugfix for author archives
- confusing admin message removed
- introduction of selectable Operating Methods
- several changes to Compatibility Mode for improved WPML and bbPress compatibility plus compatibility with Page Builder by SiteOrigin
- Polylang compatibility
- automatic switch to Compatibility Mode if WPML, bbPress, Polylang or Page Builder by SiteOrigin is detected
- completely new Customizr Compatibility Mode (automatically enabled if Customizr is detected)
- firing an 404 error in case of directly accessing the 404 error page can now be deactivated
- WP Super Cache support
- option to hide the 404 error page from the Pages list
- 404 error test
- plugin expandable by action
- delete all settings on uninstall
- WPML compatibility
- bbPress compatibility
- Customizr compatibility
- directly accessing the 404 error page now throws an 404 error
error404added to the classes that are assigned to the body HTML element
- the settings menu was moved from 'Settings' to 'Appearance'
- translation files removed, using GlotPress exclusively
- Read more
- edit the 404 page directly from settings page
- Portuguese translation
- technical improvement (rewritten as class)
- Spanish translation
- Serbo-Croatian translation
- Multilingual support added
- German translation
- Initial Release
The default 404 error page of the currently used themme (WP Bootstrap Starter used for this example)
Create custom 404 error page like any other page using the WordPress editor
Select the created page as 404 error page
The custom 404 error page in action